Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Vuvuzela, Musical Instrument of South Africa 2010

It was last year when I turned on my TV set to watch the United States versus Spain in the semifinal of the Confederation Cup, while I was waiting for the game to start that I heard a sound which in all honesty at first I thought was coming from my TV. As if something were wrong either with my set or reception, I then not knowing what it was turned the channel to see if the problem was to be found on other networks or perhaps it was my cable installation. It being then when I did not hear the same sound coming from other channels that I simply figured there had to be something with the transmission I was getting so I decided to watch the game though the sound was distracting me from the game.

ds reading games

It was after two or three minutes that I finally figured out that the sound I was hearing was some sort of instrument being played by those in attendance at the game. My ears interpreting this sound as what I imagined swarming bees sounded like. It being a sound which seemed to swirl in a consistent form that had neither melody or harmony yet was definitely persistent in its volume which seemed relentless. I must confess to have been bothered by its sound and could not have imagined how irritated I would have been had I been at the stadium and as I watched the match; it became difficult for me to focus on the game. This instrument which I would later find out was known as the "vuvezela" was almost taking away my concentration from the game itself, on to its monotonous sound which even started to frustrate me yet as the minutes went by my ear managed to adopt itself and though I did not start to enjoy it; I could at least tolerate it to the point that I no longer found it disturbing. It being that by the end of the game, I had grown to accept it as it no longer took away my focus from what occurred on the field of play. This being of most importance to me, as I am one who is constantly analyzing the game as I mentally will on the action; naturally in Italy's favor when they are playing.

READING GAMES

The USA won their match against Spain by 2-0 and went on to play the final and I must say that by that game; I had trained my ear as well as my mind to accept the sound of the Vuvuzela. This being to the point that it no longer annoyed me yet I thought back to when I first heard the samba played by Brazilian fans or the singing done by other fans, specially the English. They having a tendency to sing songs like "You'll Never Walk Alone" or "Che Sera, Sera". This last song being one which I never understood what it if anything it had to do with football. In my thoughts of the past, I also remembered how Scottish fans played bagpipes or the way in which some fans banged on loud drums while others danced to the rhythm of horns that were as relentless and loud as the vuvuzela; all of which leading me to the conclusion that different fans enjoy the game in diverse ways. Football to me being a moment of total concentration, in which all my thoughts go in to wishing Italy on to victory or trying to figure out what will happen in the game yet I am aware and accept that there are those who take pleasure from the game through the instruments they play which is in and of itself a wonderful thing. As it makes the sport more universal.

As a word of advice to those who wish to have the vuvuzela banned, I would say that life and freedom are such that if we want other people to tolerate us; we have to do likewise with other people. This being the case that if we protest against their instruments, does this not give them the same right to protest against the English who sing songs or the famous Spanish fan "Manolo" who consistently beats a drum none-stop through out the match or the Brazilian fans whose samba fills the stadium just as loudly as the vuvuzela? Naturally some may not like its sound and they of course have no obligation to do so but then again do other fans have an obligation to enjoy sounds made by vociferous fans and since law can and should not be based on taste, then I say that perhaps rather than wish to forbid the vuvuzela; it would be wise to try to get use to it. This in the same fashion in which we get used to other sounds which we may not like such as traffic noise or airplanes going over our homes.

As an idea for those who produce the vuvuzela, I would suggest to them that apart from making it in diverse colors and materials perhaps they can try creating it in ways that sound other notes besides the B note. It being this which in my mind would give it some variety and perhaps make it sound more like music rather than angry bees or disturbances on one's TV. With regards to those who wish to ban it, I would say that if we ban the vuvuzela for being annoying then who knows what other instruments may end up getting banned at matches for the same reason. This being the case of fact that what is music to someone's ears does not by all requirements have to be the same to another person's ears and just as some of us might be annoyed by the vuvuzela; perhaps some may be equally disturbed by our instruments.

The Vuvuzela, Musical Instrument of South Africa 2010

My name is Gianni Truvianni, I am an author who writes with the simple aim of sharing his ideas, thoughts and so much more of what I am with those who are interested in perhaps reading something new. I also am the author of the book entitled New York's Opera Society which is now available on Amazon.

READING GAMES

No comments:

Post a Comment